Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Baby helmet hat


Finally got this helmet hat done! It is so cute but seemed to cause me no end of problems. The earflaps connected sloppy so I went back and darned the gaps. I tried to do I-cord ties but the one I did looked terrible. After 3 or 4 attempts at something else, I came up with a pretty nice little tie.

I used size 2 needles for the tie
Pick up 5 stitches on the knit side (I used a crochet hook)
Purl the next row
Knit 2 together, K, K 2 together through the back loop (3 stitches)
Knit all rows till you have the desired length (mine are 9”)

Don suggested a little braided tassel. I think that gives it a cute look. I used Encore Yarn DK weight, 75% acrylic 25% wool. Size 6 needle.

I found the pattern on this website:
http://heyjulie.wordpress.com/2007/03/20/babykids-earflap-hat/