Friday, October 25, 2013

Single stripe knitting

I was watching a video by Eunny Jang, knitting a multi-stripe sock with no jog. The stripes just go around and around the sock - it was likened to a barber pole. I wanted to try the technique but I could find nothing on the Internet that showed how to do this with just two colors. I read as much as could, found it referred to as "helix" knitting, but no directions that I could find. Well I just jumped in and look at the great results!
So how do you accomplish this? I started out with a standard sock pattern, my old standby favorite Yankee Knitter pattern #29 "Classic socks for the family." The pattern is a bargain: directions for baby through adult large, sock through worsted weight. In the photo I used Plymouth Encore worsted weight yarn and size 5 double pointed needles. I knit the cuff as usual, then I knit 2 rows beyond the cuff, though that is not necessary. On the third row I then I knit three stitches of the cuff color (Color A) on the first needle. Now drop Color A and pick up the next color, Color B. Knit the next row in Color B. When you have knit all the Color A stitches with Color B, drop Color B and pickup Color A. Knit the Color B stitches with Color A.

No comments: